National Strategic Development Plan and Cambodia Millennium Development Goals Monitoring Support Programme
Purpose of Project
The National Strategic Development Plan/Cambodia Millennium Development Goals (NSDP/CMDG) Monitoring Support Programme (NMSP) aims to support the institutional development at national and sub-national levels to develop and use analytical tools in support of decision-making and acceleration in the attainment of national development targets and the CMDGs. The programme is aligned with the Ministry of Planning Strategic Plan (MPSP) to help address key challenges and improve institutional coordination for achieving NSDP/CMDG targets.
- Strengthen monitoring and analysis of the NSDP by Ministry of Planning (MoP) and line ministries resulting in evidence-based policy decisions to accelerate progress in lagging NSDP/CMDG areas.
- Strengthen linkage of national and sub-national planning process focusing on NSDP/CMDG targets within selected line ministries.
- Use sub-national scorecards and other products to report budget allocation and NSDP/CMDG performance at the sub-national level.
- Ministry of Planning (MoP) and line ministries produce evidence based policy decisions to fast-track the achievement of lagging NSDP/CMDG targets.
Achieving this result requires:
- Improving the capacity of and assisting MoP and line ministries to produce regular quality analytical report which will facilitate the undertaking of policy dialogues on acceleration of NMSP/CMDG.
- The NSDP for 2014-2018 including sub-national analysis and acceleration strategies.
- A multi-donor programme based approach is adopted and implemented in support of MPSP.
- Strengthened linkage of national and subnational planning process focusing on NSDP/CMDG targets within selected line ministries. Improving the linkages between national and sub-national planning processes requires:
- Participating line ministries to define procedures for synchronizing sub-national and national planning processes.
- Supporting the sharing and discussion of the draft guideline across all sectors.
- Commune Data Base, CMDG scorecards and other products generated by sub-national MoP staff are used to focus sub-national planning and resource allocation processes by 194 districts / khans / municipality. Achieving this result requires:
CDB-based CMDG scorecards and other products in support of sub-national planning are generated by subnational MoP
- Sub-national actors being able to use the scorecards and other products in sub-national planning;
Performance of sub-national entities on CMDG achievement and budget allocation is reported annually by all subnational actors;
- Experiences about localizing CMDG and using tools are shared at the national, regional and global level.
Cambodia signed the Millennium Declaration in September 2000, committing itself to achieving the eight Millennium Development Goals by 2015. In 2003, Cambodia localized the MDGs and adopted a special ninth Cambodia MDG on eemining, explosive remnants of war (ERW) and victim assistance. The government showed its strong commitment to the goals when it is presented its first Cambodia MDG report in 2003, setting out development goals and targets for Cambodia to achieve by 2015.
In line with its CMDG commitments, the government developed its national poverty reduction strategy, the National Strategic Development Plan: growth, employment, equity and efficiency to reach the Cambodia Millennium Development Goals (2006-2010). The NSDP was revised and extended in 2009, producing the NSDP Update 2009-2013 and bringing the plan into line with the term of the Fourth Legislature of the National Assembly. The NSDP Update specifies selective, over-arching and pro-poor goals and enumerates targets to be met during the period 2009-2013. Two-thirds of the National Strategic Development Plan monitoring indicators are drawn from CMDG indicators.
The Ministry of Planning has a mandate to formulate and monitor the NsDP and to report to the government on progress and achievements. The MoP finalized its strategic Plan in 2007, highlighting key activities and resources needed for monitoring the NSDP. The MoP Strategic Plan (MPSP) provides a framework with which development partners can align their support. Development partners are committed to supporting the MoP and are ready to align their support to the MPsP with a view to helping the MoP move towards a programme based approach. Under a programme based approach, partners engage in development cooperation on the principle of coordinated support for a locally owned programme of development.
Over the last three year, UNDP was helping to develop the capacity of the MoP to monitor progress made on achieving the CMDGs at both national and sub-national levels and implementing the National Strategic Development Plan through the Preparatory Assistance for CMDG/NSDP Monitoring. UNDP will continue to support the MoP in the attainment of national development targets and CMDG through this NSDP/CMDG Monitoring Support Programme.
- UNDP Thematic Area : Poverty Reduction
June 2011—December 2015
Ministry of Planning
Millennium Development Goals
UNDP Country Programme
Outcome 5: Enhanced capacities at national and subnational levels to develop and monitor policies, plans and budgets that are evidence-based and geared towards the attainment of the MDGs by 2015.
Output 5.1: Evidence from analytical tools is used to guide policy decisions, planning and resource allocation at the national and sub-national levels to accelerate achievement of CMDG.
UNDP Thematic Area
Poverty Reduction and MDGs
UNDP Focal Point
Ms. Lang SOk, Programme Analyst
UNDP, No. 53, Street 51, Phnom Penh
Tel: + 855 (0) 23 216 167