Purpose of Project
Partnerships for Development results works to promote the Royal Government of Cambodia’s (RGC) aid management capacities and partnership practices in order to achieve improved development results and the Cambodian Millennium Development Goals (CMDGs). The programme supports the government in revising its aid management policy, in ensuring sector results by aligning national and external resources with government sector/budget strategies and in using national systems for programming, planning, monitoring and evaluation, coordination and resource moblization in a number of key sectors.
- Revise the RGC aid management policy 2012-2015.
- Provide outreach work with, and direct support to, civil society, Parliament, ministries and development partners.
- Develop a policy on South-South cooperation.
- Engage regional partners at a technical level.
- Define the role of the private sector and Official Development Assistance (ODA) in supporting national development.
- Maintain the ODA and non-governmental organizations databases.
- Prepare the Capacity Development Strategy 2011-2015 and training plan.
- Produce tools to develop a Programme Based Approach (PBA) and "clinics" to selected ministries.
- Support the Technical Working Group (TWG) Network to provide a forum for the RGC, development partners and civil society.
- Provide on-demand training and support to TWG on aid management.
- Strengthen the joint Monitoring Indicators Mechanism through further monitoring for development results training and technical support.
- Develop knowledge management tools and resources as the PBA diagnostic assessment frameworks.
- Provide technical support to planning/ budgeting/aid integration guided by Public Financial Management (PFM) reform.
- Facilitate a national workshop on systems to establish consensus on priority sectors and systems.
- Conduct diagnostic work on national systems to include development of a capacity assessment tool.
- Select pilot systems/ministries and programme support to capacity assessments.
- Capacity assessment was undertaken for the Cambodian Rehabilitation and Development Board of the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CrDB/CDC), paving the way for the 2011-2015 CRDB Capacity Development strategy will to guide project capacity support.
- Trained all TWGs (30 staff), CRDB (25 staff) and representatives of the National Assembly, Senate and civil society organizations on aid management practices and tools.
In the last five years Cambodia has made significant progress in institutionalising and implementing the global framework on aid effectiveness nevertheless, capacity and resource constraints are still among the major bottlenecks to reaching the CMDGs by 2015. Continued aid dependence highlights the important role of external resources in supporting the national development programme as well as the need to ensure that these resources are managed effectively. The focus of development assistance is on maintaining the support to government reforms to improve service delivery, strengthen national institutions and to improve governance and accountability.
CRDB/CDC has established itself as a provider of expertise and as a facilitating agency in the field of aid management. Therefore, it needs to consolidate and expand its capacity to build effective partnerships and to establish good working practices with national and international stakeholders in order to deliver development results in accordance with the CMDgs and national development policies. This will ensure that CrDB/CDC can function independently of external support by 2015 and provide effective and relevant contextualised support in all technical, partnership and systems-related areas of aid management across all sectors.
- UNDP Thematic Area : Democratic Governance
2011 - 2015
Contributing DonorAustralia:[nvv]US$ 204,856[/nw] Canada:US$ 205,973[/nw] New Zealand:US$ 459,573[/nw] Sweden:US$ 322,867[/nw] UNDP:US$ 232,500[/nw] 2011 Budget:US$ 1,425,769[/nw]
Project Delivery (as of Aug. 2011)2011:US$774,416
Implementing Agency: Cambodian Rehabilitation and Development Board of the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CRDB/CDC)
Cooperating Agencies: Line ministries and development partners implementing development cooperation programmes
Millennium Development Goal
Goal 8: Forge a global partnership for development
UNDP Country Programme
Outcome 5: Enhanced capacities at national and subnational levels to develop and monitor policies, plans and budgets that are evidence-based and geared towards the attainment of the MDGs by 2015.
Output 5.2: Better alignment of aid with national development priorities, greater mutual accountability, and innovative partnerships for CMDG attainment.
UNDP Thematic Area
UNDP Focal Point
Ms Leakhena SIENG, Programme Analyst
UNDP, No. 53, Street 51, Phnom Penh
Tel: + 855 (0) 23 216 167
National Project Director
H.E. Yanara CHHIENG, Secretary-General, CRDB/CDC
Government Palace, Sisowath Quay, Phnom Penh
Tel: + 855 (0) 23 981 157
Updated: December 2011